Monday, September 3, 2012

What is reality? How is it constructed?


What is your big question? Why does this question interest you? 
     What is reality and how is it constructed? This question is interesting because everyone assumes his reality is the correct one. The issue with this idea is that everyone’s ideas of reality are different than the next person’s. For me, I have had many misunderstandings with friends and strangers alike, however, it always seems like issues arise when realities clash. For example, I may think something is the best choice in the world because through my eyes, through my reality, I think it would be a fun adventure. However, through my parents’ eyes, through my parents’ reality, the same choice I thought was wholesome, will seem much less wholesome and probably will end up as a poor choice. The difference between our realities is not just composed of the differences in our hobbies and opinions but it also goes along with experience or the lack there of and how each of us was raised. I may think eating chocolate bacon is crazy because through my eyes, through my reality, that is a gross choice in food. But my best friend loves the idea and the taste of chocolate bacon. Setting chocolate bacon aside, the real question here is there a set reality for everyone? Not total reality but a principle set of guidelines that everyone includes in there own little reality? 

What have you read in other classes that relates to the big question? Explain.
     Some books, plays, and short stories I have previously came across in dealing with the definition of reality include The Crucible, Hamlet, 1984, Little Brother, and many other works of literature. While not all of these titles directly answer the question of defining reality, they offer insight into everything reality. They deal with illusion versus reality. What reality means in different societies and also the harshness of reality. In The Crucible, illusion versus reality takes center stage when everyone in the town takes the reality of a young girl for truth. This game between illusion and reality presents itself in almost every book and is sure to be present in the coming books on my to-read list.

What movies, songs, news stories, or magazine articles relate to your big question?
     The Village is a movie that deals with reality— one in which the reality of a whole town is so flawed, it is past the turn of the twenty-first century and the town is still living as if witches still roamed the earth. Any news stories that include differing stories and opinions include a glimpse into how people form a reality and how that reality is applied to the world as a whole.  Fairytales and reality TV shows are also important places to look to see flawed realities in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment